Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q. Where do I pay my property taxes?
A. You may pay your property taxes in the Treasurer's Office on the first floor of the Courthouse. There is also a drop box located in the alley between the Courthouse and Law Enforcement Center. Or, pay online at

Q. What do I need to register my vehicle?
A. Title, odometer reading, money (Motor Vehicle Dept)

Q. How do I get a copy of my birth certificate?
A. You will need to contact the County in which you were born (Recorder's office)

Q. Where do I go for a marriage license?
A. Recorder's office.

Q. Where do I find Mortgages, UCC Filings, State and Federal Tax Liens?
A. Recorder's office

Q. How do I find out if I am registered to vote?
A. Contact the Auditor's office at 515-573-7175.

Q: How do I Register to Vote?
You may register in person at these locations:

To get more information on registering to vote, please click here. 

Q. How can I get an absentee ballot?
A. Go to the Auditor's office or mail your request to the Auditor's office.
In your request you will need to write your name, date of birth, address where you are registered, name of the election, and your signature. An online absentee ballot request form is available here.

Q: Where Do I Vote?
A: To find your polling place, please click here.

Q: Where Do I Get Voter Registration Forms?
A: Forms are available from many sources, including:

Q: Where do I sign up for Homestead Credit?
Assessor's Office, 2nd floor of the Courthouse.

Q: Where do I sign up for the Victim Information and Notification Service?
IowaVine can be accessed by telephone or internet. More information is available on our Sheriff page.

Q: When does the Board of Supervisors Meet?
Regular meetings are held Tuesdays, with additional meetings called by the Chairman. Current agenda and past minutes available online.

Q: Which holidays are County offices closed?
A: The county recognizes the following holidays: